Sotheby’s has sold 200 pairs of sneakers designed by the late Virgil Abloh for a “record breaking” collective $25.3 million, the auction house said Wednesday — more than eight times the initial $3 million estimate.
The special edition Louis Vuitton and Nike “Air Force 1” sneakers were designed for the Louis Vuitton Spring-Summer 2022, Sotheby’s said in a press release.
The auction marked the first time the sneakers were released for sale, Sotheby’s said. A spokesperson told CNN Thursday that, as a collection, the sneakers had secured “a record auction total” for fashion.
Op-ed: Virgil Abloh dissolved ‘barriers of entry’ with joy and optimism
Individual pairs of sneakers have, however, commanded a higher price. This includes a pair of Nike Air Ships worn by basketball star Michael Jordan, which sold for $1.47 million in October.
Abloh, who was the artistic director for Louis Vuitton menswear — and the fashion house’s first Black artistic director — died in November at the age of 41 after privately battling a rare form of cancer for two years.
The shoes ranged in size from 5 to 18, with the size 5 pair securing the highest price, at $352,800 — more than 23 times its $15,000 high estimate.
The sneakers are made from calf leather, featuring the Louis Vuitton monogram and pattern alongside the Nike swoosh. The quotation marks on the design are Abloh’s “signature” design, Sotheby’s said.
The sneakers are made from calf leather, featuring the Louis Vuitton monogram and pattern alongside the Nike swoosh. The quotation marks on the design are Abloh’s “signature” design, Sotheby’s said. Credit: Sotheby’s
Sotheby’s said it received 10,000 bids in total — 40% of which came from Asia. More than two thirds of bidders were aged under 40.
Each pair was sold with an orange Louis Vuitton carry case made of taurillon leather and reinterpreted from earlier designs in the fashion house archive.
Proceeds from the sale will go to the Virgil Abloh “Post-Modern” Scholarship Fund, a charity set up to support the education of promising students of Black, African American and African descent, the auction house added.
Abloh had been involved in early organization of the auction before he died, Sotheby’s said.
Virgil Abloh was credited with broadening the appeal of fashion house Louis Vuitton.
Virgil Abloh was credited with broadening the appeal of fashion house Louis Vuitton. Credit: Christian Vierig/Getty Images
Charles F. Stewart, CEO at Sotheby’s, said in a statement that the “record-breaking” auction, which saw “unparalleled global participation,” was testament to Abloh’s legacy as “one of the most visionary artists and designers of his generation whose widespread influence and impact is still palpable.”
As well as being a fashion designer at Louis Vuitton, Abloh founded the label Off-White. He was also a DJ and a former creative director at design agency Donda, owned by Kanye West, who is now known as Ye.
At Louis Vuitton, he was credited with bringing in a younger demographic appeal to the brand, and for blurring the lines between high fashion and streetwear.
Kansas City Chiefs Stan Smith Shoes 02 T110222
Adidas Stan Smith is a tennis shoe made by Adidas, and first launched in 1965. Originally named “Adidas Robert Haillet” after the brand endorsed French prominent player Robert Haillet, in 1978 the sneakers were renamed after Stan Smith, an American tennis player who was active between the end of the 1960s and the beginning of the 1980s. Kansas City Chiefs Stan Smith Shoes 02. The shoe, usually made with a white leather upper and laces, has a simple design.
Unlike most Adidas shoes, it does not have the external three stripes. Instead there are three rows of perforations (or punched ventilation holes) on both sides of each shoe’s leather upper. There is sometimes a sketched picture of Stan Smith on the tongue of the shoe. In some sense, the Adidas branding is minimal on the shoe. The design and form of the shoe has basically stayed the same since it was introduced, but several new versions and colorways have appeared during the years
PRODUCT INFORMATION: Kansas City Chiefs Stan Smith Shoes 02
- A must-have in any wardrobe, the Stan Smith sneakers are designed to match anything in your closet.
- These shoes are great for the tennis court, the playground, and everything in between.
- This sneakers offer a snug fit and unforgettable style.
- Suitable for special occasions such as Christmas, birthday, celebration, housewarming gift.
- The pair comes with a tonal rubber outsole that improves traction in any conditions.
- Made from durable full-grain leather with a smooth and comfortable synthetic lining, these shoes will keep you happy every recess period
PRINTS: Dye-sublimation printing
WASHABLE: Clean with towel
Thirteen Tips for a Proper Shoe Fit :
1. Measure Your Feet – Have your feet measured before buying your shoes. It is better to measure them in the evening when your feet are fully expanded.
– This will give you the proper comfort for all-day wear, instead of just your rested feet in the mornings.
2. One Foot Is Larger – Did you know you have one foot that’s larger than the other. Measure both feet, and go for the size of your bigger foot.
3. Don’t Plan for Expansion – Don’t expect your shoes to expand over time. Although some types of shoes might expand (leather shoes, for example), it is not right to choose a smaller size to “accommodate” this growth.
– Your shoes won’t magically grow!
4. Wear Your Socks – For measuring, make sure to bring the socks you would normally wear with those shoes. This can really make a difference in sizes.
5. Use a Shoe Horn – Once your feet are measured, make sure to put your dress shoes on with a shoe horn. This way, you won’t damage the back of the shoe.
6. Stand Up – Stand up with both shoes on. There should be between 3/8″ to 1/2″ of room between your longest toe and the tip of your shoe.
7. Pass the Finger Test – How much room should you have in your shoes? There’s always a major test your shoes should pass: Slide your index finger between your heel and the heel of your shoes.
– Your finger should fit snugly, but not too tight or loose. If it is tight, chances are you need a bigger size. If it is too loose, go one size down.
8. Walk in Both Shoes – For leather sole shoes we recommend walking on a carpet. If you walk on other surfaces, the soles and heels will start to wear out.
– This is not a good idea if you need to return the shoes. Be careful to not scratch the soles or flex them excessively in the vamp area.
– Walk for a while and make sure they don’t rub or chafe anywhere. Some heel slippage is normal, up to half an inch.
– This happens because the outsole is not yet broken in. It is also normal and okay to not have slippage at all.
9. Excessive Slippage – If there is excessive slippage to the point that the foot slips out of the heel counter more than 3/4 of an inch. This means the size is too big.
10. Toe Box Sizing – More often than not, you won’t have an issue with the toe box being too big. But you may have an issue with it not being deep enough. Some people have trouble fitting their toes if they have hammertoe.
– An improper toe box size can develop into sores or calluses because the toe box is way too small for your feet and develops points of rubbing and discomfort.
11. Shoe Width – The widest part of your foot (ball area and metatarsal bones) should roughly match the widest part of the shoe.
12. Brands & Sizing – Keep in mind not all brands have the same sizing, and some will have standard width sizes. Always make sure to check a size chart that compares different brands.
13. Boot Slippage – With boots, it shouldn’t be too easy to slip your foot in the first time. Some resistance is normal.
– If they’re leather boots, this will change as the leather breaks-in and adapts to your feet.